Friday, November 5, 2010

My Diwali Decor for 2010

Diwali is about light and love and laughter. And am so happy that we were blessed with all of it, this year.

Over the years, we will grow as a family...meet new people...create new bonds...paint new dreams...and most importantly, grow as individuals. But this Diwali will always be special... because it was the first one we celebrated at our own "home".

So it was all about my home this year.

I started with the window sill...




And then I thought that the blue vase might feel lonely. So I brought in the green vase (actually a beer bottle). And because I did not have flowers to showcase, I picked some weeds/grass flowers from my unkempt backyard (the joys of being a lazy gardener)...

I brought the new cushion covers out...the ones picked from the Bali handicrafts market.

What a riot of colours they are:

And then waited patiently for the sun to set, when I could light my candles.

Some floating candles on a glass bowl that reflects the light from all sides...

And how could I forget the outdoors?

My puja place and a happy Ganesha...


The yellow handcarved showpiece is a gift from a friend after his trip to Rajasthan.

And the corner that everyone loved...

My favorite light feature. Bali again :)


Oh! And did I tell you I made my first Rangoli this year?



This is not the Sydney Opera House, by the way. Was meant to be a lotus. Be nice...don't laugh.





Do you like my little plants?

And though he looks scary, he is a gentle giant...trust me. All set to welcome you at the door.


The relaxing Budhdha...one of the favorite housewarming gifts we got...



And since when was home decor complete without lights from Ikea?






This lantern can just create magic with its colours....


And finally...the Bali inspired corner that we absolutely love! Where drinks and sheesha will be in abundance....and the whiff of ghazals never quite die.


22 comments:

Rekha said...

Gorgeous Decor, I didn;t laugh but did smile when I read about your rangoli :)The Bali corner looks absolutely divine! Thanks for being a part of the Diwali Dhamaka..Have a dazzling diwali.

GB said...

Hi scribbler, found you via the key bunch---whata lovely space you have here (the blog!) and your home is beautiful!!! Loved your bali lamp--what a treasure, and your bali corner....Looks like you hada very happy diwali--may it bring loads of happiness and joy to your life!

Unknown said...

Hi Deblina.

Beautiful home and beautiful decor. I am sure you enjoyed the Diwali. Hope life keeps on giving you new things to celebrate every year.

Love,
Rima

Anonymous said...

Oh my.. Such awesome decor!! Your window still looks fabulous!! I love the laddar.. and love use of laddars in home decor..

Your home is gorgeous.. and so is your blog..

Here is wishing you and your loves ones a happy Diwali!

Debanjana said...

I completely completely love it...especially the Bali corner!

Purnima@a creative project said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Your house is so beautiful with all the artifacts and the stunning lamps.. The ladder is a lovely idea and the low sitting arrangement!!! Happy Diwali!!

Lata said...

Hello! Enjoyed your Bali decor. The lotus rangoli looks pretty too. :)

Scribbler :) said...

Thank you all. Quite flattered :)

Unknown said...

beautiful..... love your decor

Anonymous said...

oh my!! such gorgeous.. gorgeous.. decor.. I love the bali inspired corner.. Its awesome!! I've got some stuff to learn from you for sure!!

Thanks for joining the weekend party.. :-) Totally made my day!

Shanthi said...

Hey Scribbler, Congrats on your new home!!!! It is lovely and ur bali lantern is a must have. Looks like u had a wonderful Diwali

Sound Horn Please said...

I loved your Bali corner and the peeks into your lovely home :) I came here blog hopping and so glad that I did and discovered your blog!

Vidhya Subramanian said...

Hi, what a wonderful diwali decor!! Loved loved loved your bali inspired baitak corner!! where did u get the tent like shade for the baitak? Bali?? I have a nice diwan corner and would love to replicate the shade too!! :)
-Vidhya

Scribbler :) said...

A BIG thank you to all the new visitors on my blog. Can't say how delighted I am to see you all here.

Wish I could say..."have a seat, let's all chat through the afternoon...and I'll make come coffee...and maybe get some muffins". Anyway, one day the virtual world will probably make that possible. Till then, happy blogging to all.

Scribbler :) said...

@ Vidhya - -Yes, that's from Bali as well. The natural colour lets lots of light through and creates a magical room :)

PreeOccupied said...

I wonder how I missed this post! Its stunning. Where did you get that ladder shelf from? Pottery Barn? I have been wanting something like for a long time.

Scribbler :) said...

Hi Pree - The ladder is from Ikea :)

Purvi Shah Macwan said...

Love the Bali corner... Its so inspiring!! The Lamps, the decor.. Beautiful :)

Kamini said...

Came here googling for Diwali decor. Love your blog here, warm and gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's surely gorgeous! Now don't dismiss me for a nutter or (alarm!!) a cyber stalker or something but I am very curious - do you live in Sydney? It's unbelievable (a bit freaky too!) how much mirroring has happened reading your posts and I would like to get surprised (and a bit more freaked out) to know we're in the same city?!! - D

Scribbler :) said...

hey anonymous (!?) - thanks for stopping by. Glad you like my posts :)

And no, am not in Sydney. Am on the opposite side actually (testing your Australian geography) :)

Anonymous said...

:) Sunny Perth. Great having stopped by - Cheers